Babies R Us is having their Great Trade In event starting on Friday, January 28 and going until February 21. If you bring in your old car seat, stroller, travel system, high chair, play yard, bassinet, crib or toddler bed, you will get 25% off a new one! And the new item does not have to be what you brought it, so you could bring in an old car seat and get 25% off a toddler bed.
A couple of months ago we had a carseat safety talk at our MOPS group. Apparently, a car seat only has a life span of about 5-6 years after the MANUFACTURES date (found on the sticker on the car seat). I had been using a car seat for my 4 year old that my oldest son (11 years old!) had used (oops). So, we got him a new one, but definitely at a price (we got a nicer one that the baby can use, also, for a few years). This event would have helped with the price IMMENSELY!
Other safety things about car seats:
- Do not use a car seat if it has been in an accident
- If you can see crack or even stress marks (where the plastic is white) in the plastic, it is time to get a new car seat
- Don't buy used car seats because you don't know the history of the car seat
- Check to see if your car seat (or the car seat you are buying) was recalled (this goes for all baby equipment)
- Don't use the car seat if pieces are missing
- Don't buy a car seat without the manufactures sticker on it (for the date and serial number)
You can find out more about car seat safety here.
The thing with old car seats, though, is that you can't sell them (or you really shouldn't) and there isn't a great recycling program for them. So, this is a great way to "get rid of" your old car seat and get a piece of baby equipment you have been needing or want. :)