Makes 1 loaf, 8 slices
1 cup finely diced mushrooms
1/2 cup each finely diced red bell pepper, zucchini, and onions
1 tsp minced garlic
1/4 tsp dried basil
1 1/2 lbs extra-lean ground beef
1 cup fresh whole wheat bread crumbs, or 1/2 cup dry unseasoned bread crumbs
1/4 cup + 2 tbsp barbecue sauce or ketchup
1 pkg hamburger seasoning mix, sloppy joe mix or meatloaf seasoning mix
1/4 cup chopped fresh parsley
1/4 tsp freshly ground black pepper
1/2 cup packed shredded light Monterey Jack, provolone or mozzarella cheese
1. Preheat oven to 375°F. Spray a medium, non-stick skillet with cooking spray. Add mushrooms, red pepper, zucchini, onions and garlic. Cook and stir over medium heat until vegetables are tender, about 5 minutes. Add basil and cook 1 minute more. Remove from heat and set aside.
2. In a large bowl, combine ground beef, bread crumbs, 1/4 cup barbecue sauce, hamburger seasoning mix, egg, parsley and pepper. Mix well using your hands.
3. On a large sheet of waxed paper, form meat mixture into a 10 x 12-inch rectangle. Make sure edges are nice and straight, not jagged. Spread reserved vegetable filling over meat, leaving a 1/2-inch border. Sprinkle with cheese. Roll up meat loaf from the shorter (10-inch) end, lifting the waxed paper to help get it started. Roll it as tightly as possible. Pinch seam closed.
4. Transfer meat to a broiler pan that has been sprayed with cooking spray. Bake for 40 minutes. Remove from oven and spread remaining 2 tbsp barbecue sauce over meat loaf. Return to oven and bake for 10 more minutes, or until meat is cooked through and a meat thermometer inserted in the center registers 160°F.
5. Let meat loaf stand for 5 minutes before slicing.
Recipe taken from