Wednesday, January 5, 2011

New Years Resolutions

So, I realize this is kind of delayed seeing it is now January 5 and I am just writing this!  I normally do not make "new years" resolutions.  Throughout the year I am constantly thinking of things I want to change and I say, "Oh, tomorrow," or "Oh, on this such-and-such a day I am going to start doing this certain thing."  Unfortunately, these things are normally thought of either, A.) while I am in bed falling asleep, or B.) when I am in the shower.  Because of this, I quickly forget what it was that I wanted to change until the next night/morning in the shower. I did finally break down and buy myself a set of shower/bath crayons (I had asked my husband a few times for them, but I don't think he knew where to find them or something ;)).  Of course, my 4 year old uses them more than myself, but I have on occasion since then, jotted down a list of things to do or not forget.  Anyways...the point I am trying to get at (it has been a long day!), is that I am going to start these things at the beginning of 2011.  Gotta start sometime, I suppose!  :)

So, first of all, I REALLY want to gain some self control and start losing weight.  I had a baby in July and I have GAINED weight since he was born (and I am NURSING!).  NOT OKAY!!!  I totally thought that nursing would enable me to lose a TON of weight after he was born, making me the size I was after baby number 2.  Not the case.  Of course, this isn't really my body's fault.  It is totally mine.  I have done nothing but sit around and EAT.  And I have not eaten healthy, either!  Funny thing-I usually very rarely crave sweet stuff, I am normally a salt kind of gal, but since I have been nursing, you cannot get me enough chocolate, cookies, cakes, etc.  And of course, there was Halloween (when I bought a few HUGE candy bags from Costco and ate a lot of them myself...nice), and then Thanksgiving (those darn candy corns!), and then Christmas (I don't even know where to begin with this one).  Of course Christmas is over, but now I have a TON of candy/cookies that I got as gifts or leftover from before.  SO, I must gain self control to not eat this stuff!!!!  Another thing is that I need to go back to the gym.  I exercised until I was 9 months pregnant with my baby.  And I loved doing it.  I was even looking forward to him turning 4 months so I could go back to the gym (he had to be this old for childcare).  Then I slipped and fell and screwed up my ankle.  It still isn't 100%, but I think I could go do some things for sure.  Tomorrow.....;)

Second, I would like to start feeding my family healthier meals.  You know that you must be feeding them crap when your husband (who is a junk food addict) says that we should incorporate more vegetables and protein/fiber, etc. into our diet.  Hmmmm.....I guess he isn't a huge fan of all the cream of _____ soup casseroles I tend to make.  So, I have a cookbook called Eat, Shrink and Be Merry (see below) that I am going to start cooking all my meals out of for a while.  Of course, this means that I will not be freezing as much stuff because of it.  So if you read this blog for the frozen meal ideas, I am sorry (I will try to find as many healthy meals I can freeze for you!).  There will be a lot more healthy meals posted, though!  :)

Third, come up with a budget.  GASP!  I know....crazy, we do not have a budget at our house.  The problem is, my husband is self employed.  So, our monthly income various greatly month to month.  I have decided, though, that we just need to come up with something, then if we do have more money in a month, we can set it aside to use it in the months we don't have the money.  ISN'T THIS AN INCREDIBLE CONCEPT!?  (Sarcasm inserted there)  I already try to save us a ton of money on groceries, etc., but it would be nice to be able to show how far under our "budget" I am.  :)

Fourth, I would like to eat more meals together as a family at our table.  We have gotten into a really bad habit of not eating together as a family.  In fact, I don't think we have EVER made it a priority to eat together.  We normally have the older boys sit at the counter, I go on the computer, and my husband eats at his computer or in the living room.  Well, this year, this will end!  I have always thought it was really important to have family meals.  I loved family meals when I was growing up.  But for some reason, I never really enforced it at my house.  It is going to be great to sit together for a little bit each night!

Fifth, I would like for my life to be more organized.  I know that this current disorganization is just a phase of life I am going through right now with a baby and a preschooler, etc.  It does tend to drive me kind of batty, though!  I like knowing where stuff is, what is going on, etc.  I like my house to be clean (mostly).  So, I have a goal to find some organizational tips online or wherever to help me organize my life.

Sixth, I really want to make sure I spend time every day in God's word.  This is another thing I go through phases with.  I enjoy doing it, I find it really makes my days much better, I am a better person when I do it, etc.  But then, life gets kind of hectic and for some reason, I always allow this to go to the back burner.  I don't want to do that this year.

Seventh, I want to be NICER to my family.  I know that people tend to lash out at people they are closest to, but this year, I would REALLY like to treat my family like I would anyone on the street.  They deserve the same amount of respect and decency that a stranger does, don't they?  I haven't been doing so well with this so far this year, but tomorrow is new day!

Anyway...I am sure I will think of more things tonight as I am falling asleep or tomorrow morning in the shower!  I think this is a good starting point, though!  :)

No comments:

Post a Comment