Friday, April 22, 2011

Prescription = Almost FREE Diapers and Easter Stuff!

Getting prescriptions filled is kind of a love-hate thing for me.  I am not happy that one of my kids (or myself or my husband) needs a prescription because that usually means they are sick.  HOWEVER, I do get very excited about the fact that I can turn that prescription into money!  I have posted before about how you can get a $25 gift card for transferring a prescription or bringing a new one in.  Go here for the details on how you do it.  I know that QFC and Fred Meyer often have promotions like this as well.  I choose Albertson's because normally I would use the gift card for when "Twice the Value" coupons came out so I could stretch it the furthest.



Today I had to go fill a prescription for one of my sons.  Of course I brought with me one of the coupons for a $25 gift card when you fill a new prescription.  The cost of the prescription out of pocket for me was $8.65.  Then I got the gift card for $25, making this transaction a $16.35 MONEY MAKER!

Albertson's is having a baby event this week where if you spend $30 in participating products, you get a $10 catalina.  So, I bought a big box of Huggies diapers (size 3, 96 count) and a jumbo pack of Huggies diapers (size 3, 36 count)

Huggies big box (size 3, 96 count), on sale for $19.99
-$3/1 coupon here

Huggies jumbo pack (size 3, 36 count), on sale for $9.99
-$3/1 coupon here

Gerber 2nd foods, on sale for $0.99

Total (before tax)  $30.97
Tax  $2.61
TOTAL  $27.58
-$25 gift card
Total OOP  $2.58!!
Got a $10 catalina

I could have gotten these for FREE if I would have gotten 3 jumbo packs (because I could have used three $3/1 coupons instead of just two) instead of the box and one jumbo pack.  However, I did end up getting 24 more diapers doing it this was, so I figured it was worth the $2.58 I had to pay (that is like at least 2 days of diapers!!).

I also needed some Easter stuff and figured that it was worth saving the hassle to just "pay" a little bit more here (rather than go to the dollar store).  So, with the $10 catalina I got:

2 Egg Dye Kits, on sale for $1.79 each
5 Filler Eggs, on sale for $1 each
Pirates of the Caribbean toy, on clearance for $1.50
-$10 catalina

My son has been wanting this toy for MONTHS since we saw it in the clearance bin at Albertsons.  I was so surprised they still had it!!  AND it was marked down from $5.99 to $1.50.  I figured he has put up with enough of my crazy shopping trips (and heard, "No, it isn't on sale and we don't have a coupon for it," more times that he can count!) to deserve a little treat.  :)

SO...

Total (before tax) $0.08
Tax  $0.01
Total OOP $0.09!!

Overall, I spent $11.32 OOP on all of this (including the prescription that I was going to have to get regardless) and saved $50.84!!  :)  AND I only brought 3 coupons with me to the store (which took me like less than 5 minutes to find, print, and clip)!!

If you would like to learn how you can do this (and save hundreds more on the rest of your everyday purchases), check out my Strategic Shopping Classes!!  I now offer them in all 50 states via Skype!

No comments:

Post a Comment