Makes 6 Main Dish Servings
Salt and Pepper
1 lb ground beef chuck
1/4 tsp ground cloves
2 lbs beets, well-scrubbed (peeled if large) and shredded
1/4 cup water
2 tbsp apple cider vinegar
1 lb whole wheat linguine
2 tbsp chopped fresh dill, plus additional for garnish
1. Heat covered 6-quart pot of water to boiling on high. Add 2 tsp salt.
2. Heat 12-inch skillet on medium-high until hot. Add beef, 1/8 tsp cloves, 1/4 tsp salt, and 1/4 tsp black pepper. Cook 3 minutes or until browned, stirring and breaking beef into very small pieces.
3. Add beets, 1/4 cup water, and 1/4 tsp salt. Cook 10 to 12 minutes or until beets are tender, stirring occasionally. Stir in vinegar.
4. Meanwhile, add pasta to boiling water in pot. Cook 1 minute less than minimum time that label directs, stirring occasionally. Reserve 1 cup pasta cooking water. Drain pasta and return to pot.
5. Add beet mixture, dill, 1/4 tsp salt, 1/4 tsp freshly ground black pepper, and remaining cloves to pot. Cook on medium 2 minutes or until pasta is al dente and well coated, tossing and stirring. If mixture seems dry, toss with additional cooking water. To serve, garnish with dill.
Recipe taken from Good Housekeeping, March 2011