Makes 6 Servings
1 tbsp reduced-fat butter or margarine, melted (not fat free)
1/2 cup each diced celery and diced onions
1 clove garlic, minced
6 cups slightly stale whole wheat bread cubes (about 8 slices)
1/2 tsp each dried oregano, dried basil, ground sage, ground thyme, and black pepper
1/4 tsp salt
1/3 cup low-sodium, reduced-fat chicken broth
2 cups sliced mushrooms
1/2 cup chopped onions
1/2 10-oz package frozen spinach, thawed, squeezed dry, and chopped
3/4 cup shredded reduced-fat sharp cheddar cheese
1/2 cup thinly sliced red bell pepper
1 cup broccoli florets
1 medium tomato, thinly sliced
1 1/2 cups fat-free egg substitute
1. Preheat oven to 400°F.
2. To prepare crust, melt butter or margarine in a medium skillet over medium-high heat. Add celery, onions, and garlic. Cook until vegetables are softened, about 4 minutes. Toss vegetables with bread cubes and remaining crust ingredients, except broth. Sprinkle the broth over bread mixture and toss again.
3. Line an 8-inch springform pan with aluminum foil Press bread mixture into bottom of pan to form crust. Set aside.
4. To prepare filling, spray a medium skillet with non-stick spray. Add mushrooms and onions. Cook and stir over medium heat until vegetables are tender, about 5 minutes. Remove from heat and stir in spinach.
5. Layer 1/2 the cheese over crust. Top with 1/2 spinach/mushroom mixture, followed by the broccoli and red peppers. Sprinkle remaining cheese over red peppers, followed by remaining spinach/mushroom mixture. Top with tomato slices. Pour egg substitute over all.
6. Bake for 45 minutes, until vegetables are tender and egg is "set." Let cool 5 minutes. Run a sharp knife around edge of pan to loosen sides. Remove sides, slice and serve.
Recipe taken from