3 lbs extra-lean ground beef
1/2 cup hoisin sauce
1/2 cup dry unseasoned bread crumbs
6 tbsp finely minced green onions
2 tbsp minced fresh cilantro
4 tsp minced garlic
2 tsp grated gingerroot
2 tsp toasted sesame oil
1/2 tsp each salt and pepper
1 cup light coconut milk
1/3 cup hoisin sauce
2 tbsp reduced-sodium soy sauce
2 tbsp light peanut butter
2 tbsp minced fresh basil leaves or fresh cilantro
1 tbsp grated gingerroot
1 tsp grated lemon zest
1/8 tsp crushed red pepper flakes
1. Preheat oven to 400°F. Spray a rimmed cookie sheet or large baking pan with cooking spray and set aside.
2. To make meatballs, combine all meatball ingredients in a large bowl (using your hands works best). Form meat mixture into 80 1-to 1 1/2-inch meatballs. Place on prepared pan.
3. Bake for 18 to 20 minutes, until meatballs are cooked through and nicely browned on the outside.
4. While meatballs are cooking, prepare sauce. In a deep, non-stick skillet, whisk together all sauce ingredients. Heat over medium-high heat, stirring constantly, until sauce boils. Reduce heat to medium and cook, uncovered, for 3 minutes, stirring often. Sauce will thicken a bit.
5. Add cooked meatballs to sauce and mix well. Serve hot with stir fry vegetables, rice noodles or alone as an appetizer.
Recipe taken from