Monday, November 15, 2010

Whew! Chicken all done!!

So I am FINALLY done prepping and freezing all of that chicken!  The chicken breasts came whole, so I had to trim them down (skin, etc.) which is why it ended up taking so long!  All in all, I think I spent about 10 hours cutting and cooking and shredding and making marinades, etc.  My son actually helped A LOT with the marinades and made most of them which was a huge godsend!  Funny little side note-I had ordered some new Kitchen Aid knives from Rue La La a week or so ago (they ended up being $17.65 SHIPPED for a block set of 4 prep knives-regularly $89.99!) and they came in the mail half an hour after I had finished cutting all the chicken.  Go figure!  :)  Anyway, this is exactly what I did with all of my 60 pounds of chicken:

About 7-1/2 pounds was trimmed and cut in thirds and frozen in freezer bags plain with 1-1/2 pounds in each.
About 20 pounds of it was cubed and cooked and frozen in freezer bags by the pound.
About 6 pounds of it was boiled and shredded and frozen in freezer bags by the pound.
And about 13-1/2 pounds was trimmed and cut up into various cuts (cubed, chunks, breast halves) and marinaded in freezer bags with 1-1/2 pounds in each.

These are the marinades I ended up using (you can find the recipes in "What to do with 40 pounds of chicken-Part 2":

Sweet and Sour Chicken Marinade
Refreshing Lemon and Herb Marinade
"Make Ahead" Chicken Marinade
Tandoori Chicken Marinade
Honey Orange Chicken Marinade
Greek Chicken Marinade
Balsamic Chicken Marinade

And these store bought marinades:

Soy Vey Island Teriyaki
World Harbors Island Mango















I know that all that only adds up to about 47 pounds.  I think I accidentally gave the woman I split a box with a little bit more than 20 pounds (I was under the assumption that each bag in the 40 pound box had 10 pounds in it, so I gave her two bags. This was not the case, and so I think I actually gave her around 23 pounds, oh well!) and the skin/veins, etc., weighed a bit, especially since I wasn't being super anal about getting ALL the meat off of the skin.

I have not eaten any of the chicken yet, so I am hoping it is good.  I am probably going to make some of it soon, though, so I will keep you posted!  :)

No comments:

Post a Comment